4LEAF performed Resident Engineer (RE) and inspection services for the City of Cupertino on numerous Public Works improvement projects being performed in the City associated with the construction of the Apple Campus 2 Project. Improvements included installing new sanitary and storm drain lines, modifying traffic signals, relocating existing gas and potable and recycled waterline, intersection improvements, curb and gutter improvements, and new AC paving. Sanitary sewer improvements included installing 12 in. to 27 in. diameter sanitary sewers at depths between 7 and 20 feet. The project was inspected per Caltrans specifications.
Much of the work was performed in heavily congested sections of the City, and the contractor worked weekends and extended hours on weekdays to keep the project on schedule. Depending on the project location and level of commute traffic, there were more than 75 traffic control alternatives that our RE and inspection staff were required to inspect and ensure the contractors were implementing.
Services performed by 4LEAF included:
- Providing daily inspections and daily report documentation of job-related activities.
- Continually monitoring the contractor’s traffic control to ensure compliance with the project’s traffic control plans.
- Monitoring the contractors’ daily storm water protection.
- Attending weekly meetings with the City, contractors, client, and design engineers.
- Monitoring and documenting the contractor’s work for adherence to contract plans and specifications.
- Providing continual review of plans and specifications.
- Collecting and maintaining digital photographs of all daily construction activities.
- Reporting all discrepancies requiring corrective actions to City staff.
- Meeting with the contractor to review proposed work and schedule inspections.
- Developing “punch list” items and following-up with corrective measures with the City’s staff.